History filled fun for the whole family in the heart of the Flinders. Relaxing refreshing atmosphere for everyone. Beltana Station (incorporating Puttapa Station) is a fully working sheep and cattle station. Taken up in 1854 by John Haimes first surveyed in 1855 by John McDouall Stuart. In 1862 Sir Thomas Elder acquired Beltana through his brother-in-law Robert Barr Smith. Thus starting a historic journey that would last well over 100 years.
The station was the starting point for expeditions including one made famous by Ernest Giles in 1875 to Western Australia. Thomas Elder imported camels – some of the first camels to South Australia and Beltana Station became one of the most successful breeding studs and largest depots for camels in Australia. This helped with transport to remoter areas with expeditions and also the overland telegraph line in the 1860s. Owned by the Ragless family Beltana Station (incorporating Puttapa station) is 1876 sq Km (460 000 acres).
Dogs, Farm Activities, Families, Couples, Groups, Heritage or Colonial
40 from Leigh Creek
Fully Self Catering - Farm Accommodation
Breakfast optional for extra charge
Visited 1877 times, 1 Visit today